Duffy

Ulster

Loosely based on garments discovered in a bog at Flanders Townland near Dungiven in County Londonderry in 1956 by a Mr William G Dixon. Materials were scientifically attributed to the end of 16th century. The garments comprised remnants of tartan trews, tunic, belt and coat. In the Paton Collection.

MacFie

THE Macfies are Celts, and are supposed to be of the race of Alpin. In Gaelic the clan name is DubhsitheΒ— the dark featured tribe. The English form Duffie has passed into MacDuffie, and further, into Macfie, spelt variouslyΒ— Macafee, Macfee, and Macphee. In 1549 the island of Colonsay, in Argyll, is recorded to be under the sway of “ane gentle Capitane called MacDuffyhe.” His descendants, the MacDuffies or Macphees, held the island until the middle of the seventeenth century. Their burial place was the island of Oronsay. The effigies on their tombstones represent them either as warriors or churchmen. In 1645 Coll MacDonald and followers were charged with the murder of Malcolm Macphee of Colonsay. Subsequently the Macphees were dispossessed, and, as a “broken clan,” were merged into clans more powerful. Some followed the MacDonalds of Islay; others sheltered under Cameron of Lochiel, and became conspicuous for their courage; while the remainder settled on the shores of Clyde, and even in Ireland, where they were called Machaffie or Macafee. The Macfies, along with the Camerons, charged desperately at Culloden. They were Royalists; and the motto Pro rege was recorded as in the arms of Macfie of Dreghorn.