Gilroy

MacGillivray

THE MacGillivrays are Celts. They are descended from a warrior named Gillivray, who had his stronghold at Dunmaglass, and who, about the thirteenth century acknowledged himself and his posterity a branch of Clan Chattan under the 5th Mackintosh. The MacGillivrays of Mull and Morven have been said to be a branch of Dunmaglass. In 1579 mention is made of Archibald MacIlvoray in a case between the Laird of Luss and others. The Rev. Martin McGillivray, living in Mull about 1640, carried a claymore, and told Maclaine of Lochbuie that he would use it if he did not pay him his stipend. The MacGillivrays fought for the Old Chevalier at Sheriffmuir in 1715. When Mackintosh refused to lead his clan, which Lady Mackintosh had raised for Prince Charlie, MacGillivray of Dunmaglass took command. He fought like a lion at Culloden, and fell, wounded, in front of Cumberland’s 4th Regiment. He was alive next day, and was, by Cumberland’s orders, brutally murdered. The Clan Aonghais (Macinnes) formerly wore MacGillivray tartan.

Fraser

THE Frasers are French in origin. Clan Pipe Music: “Cumha Mhic Shimidh” (“Lovat’s Lament”); March: “Spaidsearachd Mhic Shimidh” (Lovat’s March). Gilbert of Fraser is mentioned in 1109. Sir Simon Fraser of Oliver Castle was done to death by Edward I. Hugh was the first designed of Lovat, and from him descends the “Clan Fraser of Lovat.” Hugh, second of Lovat, was made a Baron about 1460. Hugh, 3rd Lord, fell fighting with the MacRonalds near Lochlochy in 1544. Hugh, 9th Lord, died childless. Simon Fraser of Beaufort took possession. His son, Simon, styled himself Master of Lovat, but for his discreditable conduct he had to flee to France, and his father became Lord Lovat. This Simon afterwards became 11th Lord. In 1746 his title was attainted, and he was beheaded. The title was revived in 1837, and passed to Thomas Fraser of Streichen and Lovat, from whom is descended the present Lord Lovat. His seat is Beaufort Castle on the old estate of Lovat. Another branch of the family is the Frasers (Baronets) of Ledclune; while the House of Fraser of Philorth is represented by Lord Saltoun.

Grant

THE Grants are Celtic. “Stad, Chreag Ealachaidh” (“Stand fast, Craigellachie”) is their slogan. They are of the same stock as the MacGregors, and their location has always been Strathspey. Sir Laurence Graunt, Sheriff of Inverness (1249-58), acquired the greater part of Strathspey. Sir Ian Ruadh Grant, Chief of the clan, in 1381 married Matilda de Glencairnie; and for his descendant, John, Am Bard Ruadh, the lands of Freuchie were created a feudal barony. His successor, Sheumas nan Creach, was a friend of Mary Queen of Scots. From John Grant of Freuchie and Grant, a strong supporter of James IV, are descended the Chiefs of Grant and Strathspey, and the Baronets of Corrimony and of Glenmoriston. James Grant of Grant and his son Ludovick were in the clan fight at the Haughs of Cromdale. Glenmoriston fought for Prince Charlie at Culloden. There are three Baronetcies — Dalvey, 1688; Monymusk, 1705; and Ballindalloch, 1838. Many of the Glenmoriston Grants were banished to Barbadoes after “the ’45.” They have a distinct tartan. The clan raised the Grant or Strathspey Fencibles in 1793, and the “old 97th” in 1794. The first was disbanded in 1799, and the other was drafted into other Highland regiments in 1795. Lord Strathspey is the Chief of the clan.