Malcolm or MacCallum

HISTORY is rather confusing as to the correct origin of this clan. Tradition has it that the family settled at an early period in Argyllshire, yet in the reigns of David II and Robert II we find charters granting lands to Malcolms in Stirlingshire. Their territory lay in the Loch Awe district, and they are traditionally reported to be an offshoot of the MacGhille Challums (or MacLeods) of Raasay. They took protection of the Campbells of Lochow, and in 1414 Sir Duncan Campbell of Lochow granted to Reginald MacCallum of Corbarron certain lands, together with the office of Hereditary Constable of the Castles of Lochaffy and Craignish, but this branch appears to have become extinct during the latter half of the seventeenth century. Dugald MacCallum of Poltalloch inherited the estate in 1779, and was the first to adopt the name of Malcolm permanently. Admiral Sir Pulteney Malcolm was Commander-in-Chief of St. Helena, and won the regard of Napoleon. John Wingfield Malcolm of Poltalloch was created Lord Malcolm in 1896, and died in 1902, when the peerage became extinct, though his brother inherited his estate, and the feudal title of “Malcolm of Poltalloch” descended with the chiefship of the clan.