THE Macphersons are Celts. The Chief is called Cluny Macpherson. The Macphersons of Invereshie (now Macpherson Grants of Ballindalloch) are another branch. This branch is called Sliochd Gillies. Skene traces the Cluny family from Duncan, the Parson, 1438. Duncan was from Strathnairn. The Invereshie Macphersons are from Badenoch. Andrew Macpherson in Cluny and of Grange, in Banffshire, was tenant in Cluny in 1603. Duncan Macpherson of Cluny was in 1672 defeated by Mackintosh in obtaining official recognition as Chief of Clan Chattan. The Invereshie and Pitmean families opposed, being real Badenoch Macphersons descended from Muireach Parson. Duncan died in 1722. The Macphersons had now been recognised by Lyon Court as a clan, and Cluny as Chief given “supporters.” Lachlan Macpherson married a daughter of Lochiel. He died in 1746. His son, Ewen, who married Lord Lovat’s daughter, fought for Prince Charlie. In 1784 the estates were restored to his son, Duncan, whose son, Ewen, the next Chief, died in 1885. Duncan Macpherson of this clan led the Black Watch over the trenches of Tel-el-Kebir. Their Chief’s seat was long at Cluny Castle, Kingussie, Inverness-shire.
THIS clan claim descent from Gregor, a son of King Alpin, who ruled about 787. They had great possessions in Perthshire and Argyllshire. They held their lands by the sword, fighting bravely for their homes, and gave their enemies such good excuse to urge their dispossession that their name was suppressed by Parliament. In the thirteenth century they held the lands of Glenorchy. Later they appear as tenants of the Campbells. Patrick, who succeeded in 1390, had two younger sons John Dhu MacGregor of Glenstrae; and Gregor MacGregor of Roro, in Glenlyon. Ultimately the chieftainship went to the Glenstrae branch. In 1502 the line of Roro was dispossessed by the Campbells. In 1603 the MacGregors overthrew their oppressors, the Colquhouns of Luss, at Glenfruin, For this they were outlawed, and their Chief, Alexander MacGregor, with many of his followers, was executed in Edinburgh in 1604 ; but as late as 1744 MacGregor of Glengyle drew blackmail on the Highland Borders. The suppression of the name was annulled by Parliament in 1774. Rob Roy was of the House of Glengyle. Scott proved that the MacGregors were the real “Children of the Mist.” MacGregor of MacGregor and Balquhidder, whose line holds a Baronetcy, has been officially recognised as Chief of the clan.