THE Macphersons are Celts. The Chief is called Cluny Macpherson. The Macphersons of Invereshie (now Macpherson Grants of Ballindalloch) are another branch. This branch is called Sliochd Gillies. Skene traces the Cluny family from Duncan, the Parson, 1438. Duncan was from Strathnairn. The Invereshie Macphersons are from Badenoch. Andrew Macpherson in Cluny and of Grange, in Banffshire, was tenant in Cluny in 1603. Duncan Macpherson of Cluny was in 1672 defeated by Mackintosh in obtaining official recognition as Chief of Clan Chattan. The Invereshie and Pitmean families opposed, being real Badenoch Macphersons descended from Muireach Parson. Duncan died in 1722. The Macphersons had now been recognised by Lyon Court as a clan, and Cluny as Chief given “supporters.” Lachlan Macpherson married a daughter of Lochiel. He died in 1746. His son, Ewen, who married Lord Lovat’s daughter, fought for Prince Charlie. In 1784 the estates were restored to his son, Duncan, whose son, Ewen, the next Chief, died in 1885. Duncan Macpherson of this clan led the Black Watch over the trenches of Tel-el-Kebir. Their Chief’s seat was long at Cluny Castle, Kingussie, Inverness-shire.
THE MacAulays are Celtic in origin. Their chief seat was Ardincaple, in Row, Dunbartonshire. Ardincaple was probably built in the twelfth century. At one time they dwelt in Kintail, and some think they belong to the Lennox family. It is said the original name was Ardincaples of that Ilk, util they took the name of a chief called Aulay. Aulay is mentioned in various charters by Malduin, Earl of Lennox, whose death took place at the beginning of the reign of Alexander III. Aulay was the Earl’s brother. His son and successor, Duncan, or MacAulay, Knight, is also named in the Earl’s charters. Subsequently, in 1587, Sir Aulay MacAulay is enrolled as among the chief vassals of the Earl of Lennox. A branch of the clan went to Antrim, in Ireland, and acquired the lands of Glenerm. The last portion of the clan territory passed out of the hands of the 12th Chief in 1767, when Ardincaple was sold to the Duke of Argyll. Lord Macaulay, the historian and essayist, belonged to the Clan MacAulay of Lewis, first on record in 1610, and a separate clan from the MacAulays of Ardincaple.
THE name Campbell first appears in 1216, in connection with a proprietor of lands in Stirling; but the first of importance was Neil Campbell, who, in 1296, was made King Edward’s Baillie over lands in Argyll. His great-grandson was created Lord Campbell by James II, and was the first of the family to take the title of Argyll. His grandson, Colin, was made Earl of Argyll in 1457, and Baron of Lorn in 1470. The Marquis of Argyll was the great leader of the Covenanters during the Civil Wars in the reigns of Charles I and Charles II. The 8th Earl was created Duke of Argyll in 1701. The Peerages and estate descended to John, second Duke of Argyll and Earl of Greenwich (died 1743). He was succeeded by his brother, who died without issue, and so the title devolved upon his cousin, General John Campbell of Mamore. Inveraray Castle is the seat of the Campbell Chiefs, whose designation is MacCailein Mhor.