THE MacKenzie clan is of Celtic origin. Its home has ever been in Ross-shire; and it rose to power under a great Chief, Alexander lonraech, 7th Chief of Kintail, who ruled in 1427. His grandson, John, 9th Chief, followed James IV to Flodden, and lived to fight for Mary Queen of Scots, at Langside. Kenneth, the next Chief, was in 1609 created Lord Mackenzie of Kintail, and his son Colin, Earl of Seaforth in 1623. William, 5th Earl, was forfeited as a Jacobite in 1715; but his grandson was re-created Earl of Seaforth in 1771, and raised the old Seaforth Highlanders in 1778. His cousin and eventual successor, Francis Humberstone Mackenzie, was re-created Lord Seaforth in 1797; and at his death in 1815 his daughter Mary, Lady Stuart Mackenzie of Seaforth, became Caberfeidh and Chief of the clan. Her grandson, James Stewart-Mackenzie, Lord Seaforth of Brahan 1921, was the last chief to hold a peerage, but his heir of line, the Laird of Seaforth, Chief of the Clan MacKenzie, still holds sway in their castle of Brahan.
THE name Campbell first appears in 1216, in connection with a proprietor of lands in Stirling; but the first of importance was Neil Campbell, who, in 1296, was made King Edward’s Baillie over lands in Argyll. His great-grandson was created Lord Campbell by James II, and was the first of the family to take the title of Argyll. His grandson, Colin, was made Earl of Argyll in 1457, and Baron of Lorn in 1470. The Marquis of Argyll was the great leader of the Covenanters during the Civil Wars in the reigns of Charles I and Charles II. The 8th Earl was created Duke of Argyll in 1701. The Peerages and estate descended to John, second Duke of Argyll and Earl of Greenwich (died 1743). He was succeeded by his brother, who died without issue, and so the title devolved upon his cousin, General John Campbell of Mamore. Inveraray Castle is the seat of the Campbell Chiefs, whose designation is MacCailein Mhor.