THE MacNaughtons are of Celtic origin. They are descended from a Pictish king named Nechtan or Nauchton, who founded Abair Neachtain or Abernethy. Their lands lay along the shore of Loch Awe, in Lorn. Alexander III granted the custody of the castle and island of Fraoch Eilean, in Loch Awe, to Gilchrist MacNaughton. The clan fought against Bruce. In 1426 Donald MacNaughton was Bishop-elect of Dunkeld. Sir Alexander MacNaughton of that Ilk was slain at Flodden. Alexander MacNaughton of that Ilk raised a magnificent band of Archers for Charles I, whom he served faithfully. He clove to Charles II likewise, was a courtier, and died in London. A complimentary letter was sent by James VII to MacNaughton of that Ilk in 1689. A branch of the clan settled in Antrim, Ireland. They acquired an estate and castle called Benuardin and were honoured with a Baronetcy. Their line was recognised as chiefs by the Court of the Lord Lyon, and the present Baronet is the Chief of Clan MacNaughton. The old seat of the race was Dunderawe Castle a tall tower on Loch Fyne.
THIS is a Celtic clan. Their country was the western shore of Loch Lomond. They took their war cry from Loch Sloy, at the foot of Ben Voirlich. They are descended from Duncan MacGilchrist, mentioned 1296, brother of Mulduin, Earl of Lennox. His grandson was Bartholomew (Gaelic, Parlan), from whom the clan is named. Malcolm received the lands of Arrochar in 1395, but the male line failed, and the lands were forfeited. Andrew MacFarlane married a daughter of the Earl of Lennox, and succeeded in 1493. Sir John MacFarlane fell at Flodden, and Walter MacFarlane of Tarbert was killed at Pinkie in 1547. The clan fought against Queen Mary at Langside. In 1608 they slew Colquhoun of Luss, and were outlawed. In 1644-45 they fought for Montrose. Major-General MacFarlane gallantly captured Ischia, in the Bay of Naples, in 1809. In 1624 many of the clan settled in Aberdeenshire under other names. The last Chief is supposed to have gone to America at the end of the eighteenth century. His house of Arrochar became the property of the Duke of Argyll.