Twaddle

Tweedside

THE River Tweed, or Tweed Water (Scottish Gaelic: Abhainn Thuaidh), is a river 97 miles (156 km) long that flows east across the Border region in Scotland and northern England. Although this tartan – like so many that have a geographical name – is now regarded as a District tartan (‘the River Tweed runs through the Scottish Borders) it doubtless started life as a fashion tartan so named by its designers/weavers, Wilsons of Bannockburn.

Fraser

THE Frasers are French in origin. Clan Pipe Music: “Cumha Mhic Shimidh” (“Lovat’s Lament”); March: “Spaidsearachd Mhic Shimidh” (Lovat’s March). Gilbert of Fraser is mentioned in 1109. Sir Simon Fraser of Oliver Castle was done to death by Edward I. Hugh was the first designed of Lovat, and from him descends the “Clan Fraser of Lovat.” Hugh, second of Lovat, was made a Baron about 1460. Hugh, 3rd Lord, fell fighting with the MacRonalds near Lochlochy in 1544. Hugh, 9th Lord, died childless. Simon Fraser of Beaufort took possession. His son, Simon, styled himself Master of Lovat, but for his discreditable conduct he had to flee to France, and his father became Lord Lovat. This Simon afterwards became 11th Lord. In 1746 his title was attainted, and he was beheaded. The title was revived in 1837, and passed to Thomas Fraser of Streichen and Lovat, from whom is descended the present Lord Lovat. His seat is Beaufort Castle on the old estate of Lovat. Another branch of the family is the Frasers (Baronets) of Ledclune; while the House of Fraser of Philorth is represented by Lord Saltoun.

Hay

WILLIAM DE HAYA, who flourished about 1170, is said to have been the father of two sons, of whom the younger, Robert, was ancestor of the Marquises of Tweeddale. From the elder son, William, came the house of Erroll, and his descendant, Sir William Hay, was created Earl of Errol in 1453. The Hays of Erroll hold the office of Hereditary Constable of Scotland, this title having been conferred in 1314 by King Robert Bruce on the grandfather of the 1st Earl. The 4th Earl fell at Flodden in 1513, and the 13th Earl, dying unmarried in 1717, was succeeded by his sister as Countess of Erroll. But on her death in 1758, without issue, the title went to James Boyd, son and heir of the 4th (and attainted) Earl of Kilmarnock, by his wife, Ann Livingstone, who was the daughter and heiress of the Earl of Linlithgow and Callander, and his wife, Margaret Hay, sister of the above-mentioned Countess of Erroll. On succeeding to the title James Boyd changed his name to Hay, in accordance with clan law; and his descendants succeeding to the Earldom have been continual Chiefs of the Clan Hay.